Sunday, November 22, 2009

Red, White and Green. Vegetables

BF and I just went to the 7-11 across the street to get some munchies (don't ask) and I got ID'd buying one of those scratch off Bingo tickets. The cashier eyed me suspiciously and when I noticed the look, I gave him my best 100 mega-watt smile in an effort to highlight my crows feet under the unforgiving florescent lights yet he still asked to see proof of my age. That's the second time I got carded in 2 weeks - the first time for taste-testing chocolate at a grocery store? Yes, weird but true. On the 30 second walk back from the store tonight, BF and I started discussing people who look their age and why and the difference between our cultures (I'm Canadian, he's Mexican) aging process and how people care, or don't care for themselves.

*Disclaimer - I do not believe I represent a typical 31 year old female, so I do not wish to make any comparisions to anyone my age. Or any age really. We're all on our own journey. I think I have pretty decent genes - my 71 year old father has a full head of black hair and is walking around quite agilely a mere 8 months after being involved in an accident which could have killed him, had he not been the bionic man. Despite 2 broken legs (one a compound fracture), fractured ribs, a crushed, fractured hand, broken nose and a very serious, shocking and hard-hitting flight 27 feet in the air which knocked him literally out of his boots and left him bleeding out in Super Sub-Zero temperatures of northern Labrador for I don't know how long, he is currently recovering and spends a few hours in the basement gym of his house every night working out. He's a pretty damn tough guy, but then again so are most of the Bobelly's. It's the Irish blood. All that potato eating, scrappin, cursin and of course beer drinking. Something like that. Lifestyle-wise, I'm not the norm for a woman my age either. I am not married, I rent out my place, I have no children and I work part-time. I spend about an hour in the gym 5-6 days a week, sometimes more, sometimes less. And my boyfriend is 7 years younger than me. So yeah. I guess I'm not your standard 31 year old. With all the time I have on my hands as a result of a lack of dependents ( I don't even have a pet) there's no doubt I have the time and energy to focus on exercising and staying fit. But will I always? I optimistically say yes.

BF asked me why did I think that women "let themselves go", and this seems slightly more common in his culture than mine, and I think that's a hard question to answer. A lot of women around my age have one or two kids, maybe more, are married, work outside of the home, and just plain don't have that much time in their lives to indulge in anything really. I think it's sad that most women think it's an "indulgence" to take time for herself; to cater to her own needs and desires as a human being, and maintain her identity as an individual. Too many moms lose themselves in their quest to be the perfect care-giver. A few of my female friends still think having a gym pass is an extravagance. Yes, it costs money, but are you not a solid investment? Personally, if I have $100 to blow and I have a choice of buying a new outfit or some high-quality, organic, fresh food, rich dark chocolate and a bottle of red wine, I know what I'm going to do with the money. Clothing styles change. A fit, happy body looks good in anything.

In Mexico, a lot of married women do not work outside the home (although in recent years this is starting to change); instead they stay at home, doing the work of many people, especially if they have children, and they usually do (although a lot less then 10-15 years ago. Today families are slightly smaller, averaging 2-3 kids as opposed to 6-7, although it varies depending on what area you live in). The average Mexican woman cooks and cleans for 7-10 people per day! Many have jobs on the side that they do from home also, like seamstress work or selling handmade goods. The Mexican mom is so used to putting everyone else before her, she wouldn't dare think about joining a gym, or taking a personal development class for fun. She eats after everyone else is fed, maybe snacking throughout the day when she is starving and gets the chance, or late at night while running around finishing up whatever she needs to get done. She's actually getting quite a bit of physical activity, which is great but is only one component of being fit. Most men work hard labour all day, which is great exercise, for those who do but some make up for it by having a few drinks at night. And kids aren't playing outside like they used to. Not all that different from many Canadian families, really. Except the diet. Mexicans consume WAY too much fast food - sugar, soda and deep-fried cheesy foods are a staple in their diet.

Mexico is a country that has struggled with economic development and corruption throughout all levels of the government. With the close proximity and influence of the United States, many Mexicans have adopted the eating habits of their northern amigos, which is having a very unfortunate affect on the country's population. And sadly because it is a poorer country, education on the harmfulness of overeating unhealthy food has not caught up with the rest of North America, nor does there seem to be much emphasis on introducing a major physical education program in order to counteract some of the effects. The young population seem to be as taken with video games and technology as American teens, and are now similarly choosing burgers and fries as inexpensive (and addictive) snacks. These are a few of the reasons why Mexico is the second fattest country in the world, only beaten by the US. I believe Canada ranks somewhere around 35th. Here are the top 5 : http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/1766192/top_5_fattest_countries_in_the_world.html?cat=51

This was certaintly not the case 20-25 years ago, when Mexican people were living the natural way of life, before the crappy American diet had such an influence on them. People lived off the land they farmed and the livestock they raised. Not out of choice, but of necessity. It was inexpensive and high quality food, not pumped full of fillers; a lifestyle we could all benefit from -less processed food, more fruits and vegetables; less chemicals, additives and preservatives, more fresh, naturally prepared foods. Fruits and Vegetables = Nature's Pharmacy. You better believe it. I can't remember the last time I took drugs for anything, but I do make sure I get my 7-10 servings a day. It doesn't matter if you're fat, skinny, fit or ripped, you NEED your veggies.

Let me tell you right now folks, we have an aging population and childhood obesity is getting way out of hand. People are running around screaming about Swine Flu, yet 4 out of 5 leading causes of death in Canada are preventable and managable through diet and exercise. I have a few friends who are Emergency room nurses at various hospitals throughout Canada, and they will confirm that about 3 out of 5 patients they see every night are for any of these reasons - diabetes, heart disease, stroke, cancer etc. I know not all cancers are preventable, but I bet a huge percentage of them are! And I'm not a doctor. But I feel it coming. It may be 10 years or even 20, but we are going to have a MASSIVE crisis strewn from the impact of global obesity, irreparable cracks in society and there will be no amount of healthcare that will be able to make a difference. It's just a matter of time. As long as the world doesn't end in 2012 ;) An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.

Knowing all the preaching I do though, I'll likely die of at least 3 of these diseases simultaneously, while eating MacDonalds (super genes be damned) and come back in my next life as a priest. So remember: everything in moderation babies!! Just get those butts moving and shaking to unblock an artery or two, and your miles above the rest. Today's the day. Go get 'em!

Cause I'm Canadian. Eh.

No comments:

Post a Comment